Position Title: Lead Feasibility & Process Engineer
- We have an exciting opportunity for a lead engineer role within the Client, Stamping Engineering to lead the feasibility and process definition of a number of parts within a vehicle commodity, while adhering to the Stamping Engineering Quality Assurance Process.
- Within Stamping, the 'Feasibility and Process Engineering' (F&PE) Department are responsible for panel feasibility and stamping process definition.
- The team are engaged from the strategic programme definition (1st Clay concepts) into the simultaneous engineering delivery phase and through to completion of production process definition to enable the start of die design.
- The team also provide Feasibility and Process technical support to the Tooling and Process Delivery and Press Shop Launch teams, playing a vital role in the realisation of our business aims.
- Within this highly technical role you will be responsible, leading and delivering the feasibility and process definition of a number of parts within a vehicle commodity, while adhering to the Stamping Engineering Quality Assurance Process.
- You will interface closely with the departments and functions that provide key inputs to our process. such as Design and Product Engineering, you will manage and lead the resources (internal and/or external ESP's) required to support the successful development of your commodity, ultimately delivering a feasible product and defined process to the nominated Stamping Partner or Toolmaker ensuring cost, quality, timing and performance targets are met.
- In this role you will also be instrumental in leading the continual growth and development of the department. Using competitor benchmarking, innovation, technology, internal and external resources as required, you will lead projects that will deliver solutions that ensure Stamping Feasibility and Process Engineering maintain skills and capabilities to be world leaders in our field.
Key Performance Indicators
- Feasibility and Process definition Green
- Material Utilisation
- Within Capex budget
- Opex / Cost per hit
- Multiple projects delivery
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- This engineering role will have a major influence on all aspects of the Stamping Process, from early product and process optimisation with product development to realisation of the process targets established for tool manufacturers. This will include:
- Be responsible, with support, for their assigned portfolio of tooling, providing regular, structured updates on process, quality, material utilisation and performance.
- Establish a professional, engineering interface with product design and tooling vendors to ensure robust management of engineering change with minimal impact to the project outcomes.
- Take responsibility and support within AGILE Squads of several stamped parts.
- Provide feedback to Engineering that aids manufacturability of the product.
- Aid resolution of feasibility issues and provide feedback to the customer.
- Perform simulations of stamping processes and produce comprehensive formability information and reporting.
- Optimize draw die developments and line die process to maximise efficiency and robustness.
- Validate simulations as part of continuous improvement.
- Develop Engineering using experience of pressing feasibility issues with appropriate use of relevant history, both own and competitor vehicles bench marking, standards and FEA.
- Define stamping manufacture processes taking into account the most appropriate / available facilities, piece cost and tool cost implications.
- Interface with internal and external stakeholders to ensure project objectives are delivered.
- Conduct process handovers to suppliers and buy-off productionised process and forming simulation results.
- Provide technical support for toolmakers on resolution of process and forming simulation results.
- Provide support, project management and facilitation for the supplier development by promoting performance improvement within the external vendor base.
- Undertake any other work as directed by their line manager in connection with their job as may be requested.
- Design and Product Engineering
- BIW, Trim & Final
- Stampings Forward Programmes Planning
- Stampings Vendors
- Press Shop Operations
- Manufacturing Programme Management MPM
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience in pressed panel feasibility and production process definition.
- Extensive experience in material forming simulation software (Auto form) for complex BIW panel geometry.
- Significant experience of materials, and materials properties and processes specifically related to forming technologies.
- Extensive knowledge with key processes, facilities and technologies used throughout the pressed parts process chain.
- Scoping and managing complex projects.
- Some working knowledge of Team Centre and Catia v5/6.
- Significant knowledge of practical problem-solving techniques ex., 8D, and lean tools etc.
- Significant experience with Microsoft applications, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- A relevant engineering degree is not essential but would be an advantage, as would time served in related engineering disciplines.
- Ability to analyse and break down complex, design, engineering and manufacturing problems or processes into its key elements offering clear navigational paths through them to achieve common goals.
- A flexible, self-motivated, organised and confident team player able to understand the needs, desires, aspirations and priorities of competing customers.
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
- Lean / Six Sigma certification
- An individual with a customer first mind-set who is easy to do business with and makes people feel special, driven to deliver experiences that are personalised, transparent and dependable.
- An individual, who works independently, is results driven, demonstrating tenacity, drive and perseverance with the ability to deliver operational plans in a complex, highly demanding environment.
- An individual with the capability to combine a short term, pragmatic focus with medium term planning.
- A resilient and enthusiastic who responds constructively to new ideas and inputs.
- A good communicator with the ability to communicate complex ideas.
- An effective team player, actively develops and supports team members.
- An individual with the ability to challenge existing thinking in a positive way whilst building credibility and trust through experience and personal style.