Order Ref: 36224
Position Title: BMS Calibration Engineer
Division: Engineer and Senior Engineer Level
- Our Client is currently seeking a BMS Calibration Engineer with a focus on battery management and hybridised powertrain applications.
- In this role you will be responsible for verifying and optimizing the battery management systems of diesel hybrid and fully electrified powertrains.
- Your objective will be to ensure that all target criteria are met, and that the powertrain (ICE + hybrid electrical) operates at its optimum efficiency in all operating conditions.
- The role involves planning, preparation and supervision of both simulation activities and physical engine testing.
- Good knowledge of calibration and battery systems as well as control methodologies are important for this role.
- Data analysis, assessment, and documentation of test results for report out to key stakeholders will be an important part of this role.
- The Clients' engineers are typically exposed to multiple different projects during their career working with them, including increasing opportunities in the field of electrified powertrains and e-fuel internal combustion engines.
- The role is therefore particularly suited to people who will enjoy the opportunity to gain experience in new areas and who can rapidly self-start, combining a pro-active attitude, excellent analytical problem-solving skills, and an outstanding technical engineering background.
- Develop and manage new powertrain calibrations using Client/customer calibration tools and processes
- Development & refining of BMS test plans
- Planning and execution of BMS and hybrid systems simulation study activities
- Controls development and mathematical modelling using MatLab/Simulink
- Support conceptualization studies for future powertrain
- Analysis of test data to understand the operation of the powertrain systems, controllers and calibration
- Analysis of fleet data and fault finding
- Preparation of reports (verbal & written), providing robust recommendations and proposals
- Lead assessment of simulation and test results and defining next steps
- Liaison with, and report to, multiple functional groups within the organization
- Promote robust solutions to address client issues using the Clients' portfolio of services & knowledge
- Support internal presentations and participate in trainings and knowledge exchange
- Minimum of 2:1 Bachelor's or Master's degree in a relevant engineering area (Mechanical/Electrical/Mechatronics/Automotive, etc.)
- Excellent understanding of battery and hybrid fundamentals and performance, including BMS development
- Good knowledge and experience of using MatLab and Simulink
- Experience with dataset management e.g. CRETA, Vector vCDM or similar
- Good working knowledge of calibration tools such as ETAS Inca, Vector CANape etc.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to summarise and make clear technical recommendations across multifunctional disciplines with supporting data,
- Self-starter with the ability work with high level instruction, minimal detail breakdown and to be able to seek out relevant information, data and support from other engineering groups,
- Excellent inter-personnel and communication skills
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively, both written and verbal, with the Client and customer team members, as well employees in other, customers, suppliers, and the global team.
- Flexibility to work across multiple projects/locations
- Knowledge of data analysis tools (Concerto, Vector CANape, CAMEO, DIAdem etc.)
- Understanding and experience of DoE and systems modelling
- Knowledge of engine combustion and after treatment system modelling
- Appreciation of powertrain simulation techniques (e.g. MatLab, Simulink, CRUISE™ M) across virtual development, verification, and validation techniques.
- Masters or PhD in specific subject area preferred
- Controls and calibration development using SiL and Hi