Order Ref: 36225
Position Title: Virtual Calibration Engineer
Our Client is currently seeking a Virtual Calibration Engineer with a focus on internal combustion engine applications.
- In this role you will be responsible for verifying and optimizing the systems intent of the diesel engine and powertrains.
- Your objective will be to ensure that all target criteria are met, and that the powertrain (engine and after-treatment) works to its full efficiency in all operating conditions.
- The role involves planning, preparation and supervision of simulation activities and physical engine testing.
- Good knowledge of combustion and engine as well as control methodologies are important for this role.
- Data analysis, assessment, and documentation of test results for report out to key stakeholders will be an important part of this role.
- The Clients' engineers are typically exposed to multiple different projects during their career working with them, including increasing opportunities in the field of electrified powertrains and e-fuel internal combustion engines.
- The role is therefore particularly suited to people who will enjoy the opportunity to gain experience in new areas and who can rapidly self-start, combining a pro-active attitude, excellent analytical problem-solving skills, and an outstanding technical engineering background.
- Develop and manage new powertrain calibrations using Client/customer calibration tools and processes
- Development & refining of engine test plans
- Planning and execution of diesel engine systems simulation study activities
- Support conceptualization studies for future powertrain
- Analysis of field data to understand the operation of the powertrain systems, controllers and calibration
- Analysis of fleet data and fault finding
- Controls development and mathematical modelling using MatLab/Simulink
- Preparation of reports (verbal & written), providing robust recommendations and proposals
- Lead assessment of simulation and testing results and defining next steps
- Liaison with, and report to, multiple functional groups within the organization
- Promote robust solutions to address client issues using the Clients' portfolio of services & knowledge
- Support internal presentations and participate in trainings and knowledge exchange
- Minimum of 2:1 Bachelor's or Master's degree in a relevant engineering area (Mechanical, Automotive, etc.)
- Excellent understanding of diesel internal combustion engine performance and fundamentals, including modern Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems, including environmental corrections and air path
- Experience of HiL, Sil and Virtual testing environments
- Good knowledge and having professional experience of using MatLab and Simulink for engine/aftertreatment modelling
- Experience with diesel engine performance, calibration, or development
- Good working knowledge of calibration tools such as ETAS Inca, ATI Vision etc.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to summarise and make clear technical recommendations across multifunctional disciplines with supporting data
- Self-starter with the ability work with high level instruction, minimal detail breakdown and to be able to seek out relevant information, data and support from other engineering groups
- Excellent inter-personnel and communication skills
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively, both written and verbal, with the Client and customer team members, as well employees in other, customers, suppliers, and the global team
- Flexibility to work across multiple projects/locations
- Understanding and experience of DoE and emissions modelling
- Knowledge of engine combustion/aftertreatment system modelling
- Knowledge of calibration and data analysis tools (Concerto, Vector CANape, CAMEO, DIAdem etc.)
- Appreciation of powertrain simulation techniques (e.g. MatLab, Simulink, CRUISE™ M) across virtual development, verification, and validation techniques
- Knowledge, interest & experience of non-ICE based powertrains (e-machines, hybrid systems, batteries & control systems, etc.)
- Understanding of worldwide emissions legislations
- Master's or PhD in specific subject area preferred
- Controls and calibration development using software or hardware in the loop
- Familiar with 1-D simulation tools (e.g. GT-power)
- Strong communication, teamwork and leading abilities